Thursday, August 10, 2017

The Sword of Summer

The number of Rick Riordan books that I've read sometimes staggers me. Between the Egyptian, Greek, Roman, and now Norse mythology, I've devoured a whopping fourteen of his books. So when The Sword of Summer hit shelves, it was pretty much a given that I would read it. So what did I think of this latest jaunt into the world of alternate mythology? Keep reading...

24172101
Retrieved from Goodreads
Magnus Chase has been homeless ever since his mom died. But then he dies too, and gets brought to Valhalla by a Valkyrie. Now he's dodging manic squirrels and building fashionable armor with a dwarf. Because it turns out Magnus is the son of a Norse god, and the gods are preparing for war--Ragnarok specifically. And Magnus might either prevent it, or cause the end of the world.

This is the first time I've ever not loved one of Riordan's books. What makes his books fun is the quirky twist on classic mythical creatures. Iris, goddess of rainbows, owning a health food store? Yes please! But the god of thunder being obsessed with TV shows? Meh. And therein lies my biggest issue with this book. Everything felt just shy of clever. Nothing really made me laugh out loud, though the book certainly tried its hardest. But killing an entire giant family that's big and bumbling? Meh. A contest of wits where the winner made a bullet proof tie? Meh. I just didn't care. Maybe it's because most of the characters in the story weren't young, or maybe it's because they all felt like they were checking off boxes. But Magnus didn't really seem to have a struggle I could identify with. He died, which sucks, and he misses his mom. But that plot only comes up when required to move the plot, so basing the entire climax around it felt unearned. And even at the end, I couldn't really make myself care about whether they started Ragnarok or prevented it. Maybe book two will get it better. I hope it does. I've loved the worlds Riordan has created, and I'd hate for that well to run dry.

Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars
Up Next: Hourglass by Claudia Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment