Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Perfect Ruin

One of my favorite people on Twitter is Lauren DeStefano. In fact, I have been known to whip out my phone at social gatherings to read some of her delightful tweets. My favorite? "Give someone a book, they'll read for a day. Teach someone how to write a book, they'll experience a lifetime of paralyzing self doubt." Speaking as someone who has written 6 books, 1 of which was published, I still experience this every time I sit at a keyboard. So, loving DeStefano's online presence, I dove into the second series by her that I've read.


22053410
Retrieved from Goodreads
Morgan lives in a floating city where everything is perfect--except until someone is murdered. There have been tragedies in the city before. People approach the edge of the city and jump, and every time that person loses some part of the themselves. Morgan's own brother lost his sight to the edge. But with the first murder in a generation wreaking havoc around the city, Morgan can't stop herself from investigating. The dead girl's fiance, Judas, is being blamed, but Morgan isn't convinced.

I had much the same issue with this book as I did with DeStefano's last series (The Chemical Garden). There's not much action, there's a lot of description, and there's some instalove. That being said, I really did love how DeStefano portrayed how a murder could mess with someone's head when it's never happened in their lifetime. There's some exploration of censorship that also works, and a desire to fly that I felt in my marrow. Now, this probably won't resonate as much with other readers, but to this day when asked "what do you want your superpower to be?" I answer with "flight." I'm going to read the sequel, Burning Kingdoms, because the ending of this book is truly intriguing and opens up the world much like the end of Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi.

Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars
Up Next: The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan

No comments:

Post a Comment