Saturday, August 12, 2017

Morning Star

As you'll know if you've been reading this blog for a while, the genres I tend to read in are fantasy, sci-fi, and paranormal. Of course, there's romance, dystopian, historical fiction, middle grade, and I've even dipped my toe in thrillers. But those are the three primary genres. So it should come as a surprise to no one that I picked up Red Rising back when it came out. Mythology combined with sci-fi competitions for supremacy? Sign me up. But I ended up feeling only lukewarm about the series. That is, until this final installment.

18966806
Retrieved from Goodreads
Darrow has fallen into the hands of his enemies. The rising of the low colors seems poised on the brink of collapse. It will take all of his Gold experience and Red instincts to maneuver through the rebellion. And even then, he knows he'll leave a path of corpses in his wake.

Oh man, it's really hard to write a description of this book. But really, that's what it is. Darrow, riding high on his own importance in Golden Son, is now laid low. There is so much death and destruction and subtle political manipulation that it's almost hard to keep track of. It's sad, and it's well written. But it's the secondary characters that sold this story for me. Specifically, Victra and Sevro. Previously I'd been meh about these characters. But oh ho ho, put the two together and who get some hilarity of the highest order. You get crushed ego on the part of Sevro, who had power thrust upon him when Darrow was taken and absolutely bungles it. You have loyal Victra who is torn apart for believing in Darrow. You have Mustang, cool and aloof and unbelievably smart. You have Kavax, who somehow reminds of a mix of Hagrid and a rabid bear. Honestly, this book somehow managed to make me laugh and break my heart. While it did get redundant with the violence, and Darrow's romance with Mustang frankly annoyed me half the time, I closed this book with that sigh you get when your body settles after a frantic pace. In the end, Darrow got to me, despite his Gary Sue-ness.

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars
Up Next: Defy the Stars by Claudia Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment