Friday, August 11, 2017

Hourglass

My last review was of a book by an author who I'm really familiar with. This review will be much the same! To date, I've read nine of Gray's books, and I've got at least three more on my shelves at this moment. Her books tend to be quick, romantic reads, which is right up my alley. I've been reading her first series for quite a while now, but I'm two books short of being done! To give a little preview, my favorite series by Gray so far has been her Spellcaster trilogy.

7886990
Retrieved from Goodreads
Bianca has fled Evernight Academy with Lucas, but they can't build a life together just yet. Bianca's urge to drink blood grows every day, and in the heart of the Black Cross, it's difficult to stay hidden. Bianca and Lucas hide the truth of their relationship from everyone, but it may not be enough to keep her alive. Her parents made a deal with ghosts to give birth to her, and now they've come of collect on that bargain.

This read is so quick that you might not even notice you've finished. Honestly, I wonder if this could have been packaged as three slightly beefier books. Bianca hides her vampirism which is growing stronger, and Lucas tries to get them out of there. This continues for the majority of the book until something quite spectacular happens (SPOILERS AHEAD): Bianca dies. Not only that, she becomes a ghost. Honestly, I was feeling pretty bored with the whole book until this happened. Bianca instantly became ten times more interesting as a ghost than she ever was as a vampire, and now I'm really looking forward to how this all plays out in the (technically) final book of the series. Bianca's parents don't know she's dead, and the Black Cross is still out for Lucas, and so is a ticked off vampire clan. Well done, Claudia Gray, I honestly didn't think you could surprise me with this series! Does that totally make up for the 3/4 of the book that came before it? Not entirely, but still, nice!

Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars
Up Next: Morning Star by Pierce Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment