Thursday, May 25, 2017

Yes Please

We're taking a break from our regularly scheduled programming for a review of Yes Please by Amy Poehler. I'm not usually a memoir person. In fact, I think this is the second memoir I've ever read. But I'm a huge Parks and Rec fan, and several coworkers and friends have told me how hilarious this book was. I also want to note that I listened to the audiobook, which was narrated by Poehler herself and probably had a big influence on how I perceived it. Since this is a memoir, I'm not going to do a description of the contents because...well...you can probably guess what it's about.

20910157
Retrieved from Goodreads
This book was really quite enjoyable. It was funny and sharp, and kind. There's a lot of talk about how you just need to be you, as long as you aren't a jerk. Poehler does talk about her time on Parks and Rec and SNL, which were the only couple things I knew her from. There were some laugh out loud moments, and some really funny parts where Poehler talks about how writing is the worst and she doesn't know why she agreed to do this book and can't someone else write it for her? Speaking as a writer, I totally get it. I have been in a horrific writing slump and have been trying to make up for it by reading copiously. Writing does suck. But it's also pretty cool. On the whole, I really enjoyed learning more about Poehler's life, though she doesn't let you in on any huge secrets. She fully admits that she doesn't like telling strangers about her personal life, which I also understand. Other reviews pointed out how scattered the book is, jumping from topic to topic without much connection between them. If I had read the physical book rather than listening to the audiobook, I think I would agree. But Poehler's conversational tone and style made the experience a wonderful one. Can I have another season of Parks and Rec please?

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars
Up Next: Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

No comments:

Post a Comment