Monday, May 22, 2017

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

Sometimes I'm in the mood for something light and fluffy. Don't get me wrong, I love me some dark fantasy with heart-shattering plot twists and brutal mysteries. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's what my next review will be about! But there are also days when I want a cheery little romance where the guy gets the girl and they all live happily ever after with swoon-worthy kisses. And fitting the bill? The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith.

10798416
Retrieved from Goodreads
Hadley is on her way to London to watch her dad marry someone who is not her mom. When she misses her flight, it turns out to be fate in more than one way. Because the flight she ends up on has Oliver, a British boy who makes her forget the horrible day she's about to have.

Really, there's no need for a longer description than that. Hadley meets Oliver, they flirt, get separated at the airport, and then they meet again. It's a very short book that's both cute and slightly annoying. It's cute because who doesn't want to meet a smart, kind British boy who lies about being your boyfriend so he can sit next to you on a transatlantic flight? It's cute because some of the banter is just plain adorable. It's cute because it's really trying to be British. It's cute because it took be back to the days when I would analyze every single thing a guy said, parsing it to see if he secretly liked me. Ah, youth. So this book does make you smile, and for us older folks, a little nostalgic. But it's also annoying. Because Hadley's dad is a jerk. Who marries someone that has never met his daughter? Who doesn't see his daughter for a year and basically ditches his family without even a "sorry"? Who forces his daughter to be a bridesmaid in said wedding? I don't know, but even the heartfelt talk between Hadley and her dad at the end did not make me at all sympathetic toward him. He was just having his cake, eating it too, and then making Hadley wash all the dishes. But at the same time, I squirmed a bit when Hadley basically forced the wedding party to put everything on hold so she could have a weepy talk with her dad. Eh. It couldn't wait until afterward? Overall, it was a light read that was nothing more than I expected. I knew it wasn't going to have Kristan Higgins levels of romance and character interactions. It didn't knock my socks off, but it did make me smile a bit. And at the end of the day, that's mostly what I'm after from contemporary romance novels.

Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars
Up Next: A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas

No comments:

Post a Comment