Wednesday, May 24, 2017

The Siren

I have read all of Kiera Cass's books. I enjoyed The Selection for the fluffy beauty pageant it was, and lamented when it tried to get into deeper themes in its dystopian setting. I even gave the extension of the series, The Heir and The Crown a try. Much like The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight which I reviewed a few days ago, I went into this book with expectations that were, if not low, then not exceptionally high. I wanted a quick, fluffy romance in a different setting. And that's what I got!

25944385
Retrieved from Goodreads
Kahlen is a Siren, bound to do the Ocean's bidding for one hundred years. She uses her voice to lure ships to their doom, and she hates the death she causes. She must never use her voice around humans, for it will bewitch them to their deaths. And she was resigned to her fate until she met Akinli, a kind boy who isn't scared away by Kahlen's silence. But how can they ever be together when Kahlen is an ageless Siren with a voice of death, and Akinli is human?

For a book that touted its romance, Kahlen and Akinli spend a grand total of a little over a day together. They make cake, and they walk around town. But they are soulmates, apparently. I must admit, I became much less interested in Kahlen and Akinli, and much more invested in Kahlen's relationship with her sisters and the Ocean. How the different sirens dealt with their ageless, silent lives was fascinating. There was some disturbingly blasé murdering, which left me with a bad taste in my mouth. But the love between the sisters, and the love of the timeless Ocean for her daughters was very nice. The ending...eh. Maybe if this book were longer, and if Kahlen and Akinli had spent more time together, would I have bought that they were basically dying of heartache. And poison. But mostly heartache. So I had to knock this book down a star for how it wrapped up, particularly since Kahlen wasn't very active in the decision. But overall, a quick fluffy read that was like a digestif after A Court of Wings and Ruin.

Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars
Up Next: Yes Please by Amy Poehler

No comments:

Post a Comment