Saturday, May 27, 2017

Dreamology

After the sadness of Between Shades of Gray, it was time for something a little lighter. I chose Dreamology by Lucy Keating as my palate cleanser. Now, this was a book that I went back and forth on before buying. I generally trust Goodreads ratings when picking out books, and while it had a so-so average rating, the top reviews seemed incredibly positive! I thought I'd give it a shot. What's the worst that could happen?

25817310
Retrieved from Goodreads
Alice always has wonderful dreams where she explores the world with Max. But that's all they were--dreams. That is, until she starts going to a new school and discovers that there's a real Max, and he's almost nothing like Dream Max. Suddenly, life gets very confusing, and the dream world is bleeding into her real world in more ways than one. Not only does Alice want to discover why she's been dreaming about Max and how much of it was real, but she needs to before she can't discern reality from fiction any longer.

I'll admit--awesome premise. Seriously, for someone who has incredibly vivid dreams, there's something so cool about the idea that you could meet someone in your dreams that turns out to be real. I really enjoyed the dream aspects of this book, particularly when it went in a direction I wasn't expecting. I was thinking this was going to be a mild urban fantasy, but when it stayed incredibly contemporary it was a pleasant surprise. Now, did it stick the landing? No. The driving conflict of the story is that the dream world is bleeding into Alice and Max's reality as a result of their being part of experimental sleep treatments when they were children. And the resolution sort of sucked. It was nowhere near as explained as I'd have liked. And Max...I went back and forth on whether or not I liked Max. And I'm still not sure. He essentially cheated on his girlfriend with Alice, which I am never okay with. And the stuff about Alice's absent mom? I don't know, but I wanted Alice to realize that she was not required to have a relationship with her just because they share DNA. This is a plot thread that increasingly annoys me as I get older. Just because someone is biologically related to you does not mean you have to forgive them for the horrible things they do. This was something that really bugged me in The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. But I digress. The banter has some great moments, and I really enjoyed the sleep treatment portion up until the resolution. And the story gets an A+ for premise.

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars (more like 3.5)
Up Next: How to Love by Katie Cotugno

No comments:

Post a Comment