Tuesday, May 23, 2017

A Court of Wings and Ruin

I have loved Sarah J. Maas's books ever since I read Crown of Midnight. I did enjoy Throne of Glass, but in a tentative way. it felt a little like a fledgling bird, still trying to get the wind under its wings. Crown of Midnight solved that problem and had me glued to the page. And with every book that followed, I became more and more invested in Maas's characters. Aelin, Elide, Chaol, and more. And then I saw that she was writing a new series, A Court of Thorns and Roses. Initially, I was upset. Did this mean the release dates for the next TOG book would be pushed out? How could this be happening? But at this point I was such a Maas fan that I couldn't be too sad. So I dove into ACOTAR, and then ACOMAF, and fell in love with a whole new cast of characters. But then another problem presented itself. Although I had read eight of Maas's books, she had yet to finish a series. What if she sucked at wrapping it up? That is a lot of time invested in one person's books that could end up being disappointing. Well, how did Maas fare?


23766634
Retrieved from Goodreads
Feyre has rejoined the Spring Court, intent on bringing it down from the inside. Her old love, Tamlin, sold out her family and his court to Hybern to get her back, and now the king has a foothold from which to take down the entire world Feyre has come to love. With the help of her mate, Rhysand, friends Amren, Cassian, Azriel, and Mor. As war approaches, they must gather any support they can in order to defeat Hybern and the darkness that threatens to consume Prythian.

This book. Wow. I mean...wow. Did it stall in some places? Yes. Was I a teeny tiny bit disappointed by how nicely it wrapped up? Yes. But did I adore every single character and where my eyes glued to the page? Absolutely. Several former plot threads are picked up again and tied into the main story. Feyre and Rhys are so damn good for each other, though the message of choice is a little like a battering ram. There are so many different representations of sexuality without judgment. They don't all stick the landing perfectly, but is so good to see those representations presented as a fact of life rather than a huge revelation that there might be something different than one guy and one girl who kiss once and end up together forever. Oh, and Feyre's sisters end up being delightful additions to the large cast. Nesta and Elain, so distinct from each other and so obviously related. The building up of each character as having a distinct past, a different thing to gain/lose from the outcome of the war, and a different style of speaking...it blew me away. And then it all comes together in the end with some badass fighting, mythology, and heartbreak. Well done, Maas, well done. It might not be a perfect book, but I don't think I would want it to be. If there's one thing this book shows you, it's that trying to be exactly what other people want is no way to live your life.

Now where is Tower of Dawn?

Goodreads Rating: 5 Stars
Up Next: The Siren by Kiera Cass

No comments:

Post a Comment