Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Words of Radiance

It's rare that I review an adult book on this blog. Usually it's an honor reserved for Kristan Higgins books because they're so funny. But now I've got a book that is just so amazing it needs to be reviewed. Plus, the author also writes YA so I'm calling it close enough. Words of Radiance, the second book in the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. And since I've already sort of given away my opinion, on with the review!


17332218
Retrieved from Goodreads
With her powers revealed to Jasnah, Shallan and her mentor are headed to the Shattered Plains to alert Jasnah's uncle Dalinar to the potential threat of the Parshmen. But when tragedy strikes at sea, Shallan must make her way alone while grappling with her burgeoning powers of illusion. Meanwhile, Kaladin has been put in charge of the king's personal guard, a position never held by a darkeyes. With the Assassin in White killing leaders around the world and political machinations in the war camps, he struggles with keeping his charges safe. As these characters come to terms with their powers and try to stay alive, the Everstorm approaches, threatening to send the world into a Desolation from which it may not survive.

This series. I mean, talk about a slow burn. Each book clocks in at over a thousand pages with interludes between the parts and a wide range of fleshed out characters and a skillfully crafted, incredibly vast and complex world. The magic reveals itself slowly. Scholarship is not always correct. There are splinter groups within religions and different cultures within those. There is science and gender roles and magic and highstorms and spren and love and deceit and I could go on and on and on. You're really just in it for the ride. Because despite its massive length, there are many twists and turns, many of which surprised me. I cannot wait to sink my teeth into Oathbringer when it comes out in the fall. Because this is a world I think will stick with me. The characters are so real, and their struggles manage to be personal and impact the world on a grander scale. Bravo, Sanderson, bravo. (Also, Kaladin meeting Shallan is possibly my favorite meet-cute in the history of ever)

Goodreads Rating: 5 Stars
Up Next: Flamecaster by Cinda Williams Chima

No comments:

Post a Comment