Monday, March 27, 2017

The Chaos of Stars

I've probably mentioned this before, but I read Kiersten White's blog for several years before picking up her books. Why would I be so committed to a blog about books when I hadn't read any of them? Because she was so freaking funny. And when I picked up the Paranormalcy series, I found myself chuckle-snorting through them, even if they didn't become some of my favorite books in the world. And that was okay. It is really freaking hard to write humor, and I love any book that can make me laugh. Her Mind Games series was darker, more complex, and less polished in my opinion. But I still picked up The Chaos of Stars because I adore mythology, particularly Egyptian mythology and...well, that cover is gorgeous.

12578305
Retrieved from Goodreads
Isadora's family is majorly screwed up, as you'd expect when your mother is Isis and your father the king of the underworld and you're just the latest in a long line of human children born to two gods. But Isadora is sick of it. So as soon as she can, she flees to San Diego to live with her brother and his wife. But she quickly finds out that it's harder to escape family than you'd expect, and conflicts are brewing between the gods back in Egypt.

This book got a lot of hate, and honestly I can see why. It is really short, Isadora is written as being sort of perfect, the plot is simple, and if you didn't read the little short stories about the Gods (written from Isadora's POV), you would have no idea what the conflict was when the climax arrives. And honestly, it was that last part that bothered me the most. The cycle of gods repeating the same mistakes over and over again, and having your parents be part of it is enough to traumatize a kid and be very confusing. But I wanted to see that more in the active story, not the passive pre-chapter snippets. But, that being said, this was a quick, fun read in my book because I went in knowing that White wrote this book over a weekend. It's very short so how much can you really get in there? There's a lot of stuff that made me laugh (yay!) and some descriptions of food that had me reaching for a takeaway menu. Is it the best book of all time? No. But I still had a fun time reading it.

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars (Probably more like 3.5)
Up Next: Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

No comments:

Post a Comment