Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Crooked Kingdom

My roommate and I are both severe bookworms. Like, we dream of sharing a three-bedroom apartment one day where the third bedroom can be the library. So it should come as no surprise that we sometimes read together. Separate books, but in the same room and we often stop reading to exclaim/complain about whatever is happening in that book. Most recently for me, that book was Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo. It had been sitting on my shelf for many months because I was afraid of the story ending and being sad. Needless to say, I exclaimed a lot while reading this book.

22299763
Retrieved from Goodreads
There are more troubles for Kaz Brekker and the team he took with him to break into the Ice Court in an impossible heist. Inej has been captured, and after being double crossed the team is looking for their money, and their revenge against Wylan's father. They have one last con to pull off, and it might be the craziest of them all.

This book...where to start. I adored every single page of it. The world is so rich and well thought out. The characters are all distinct with their own lives, worries, beliefs, and desires. There's a con kept me guessing, heartbreak, costumes, and kissing (squee!) There's magic and lore and Ketterdam is such a horrible, awesome city. I won't go on for too long because it would probably come across as sycophantic. If you have ever enjoyed reading fantasy, you NEED to pick up this series straight away. It is so good it's not even funny. The banter between all of the characters is sublime. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me cringe. Leigh Bardugo is now firmly in the camp of "I will read any napkin she ever writes on." This is a camp formerly only occupied by Maggie Stiefvater, so it's an exclusive club. Seriously....just read it.

Goodreads Rating: 5 Stars
Up Next: Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson

No comments:

Post a Comment