Sunday, February 19, 2017

The Lucky Ones

The Lucky Ones by Anna Godbersen is the final book in her Bright Young Things series set in the roaring 20s. Being the history nerd that I am, I always enjoy Godbersen's focus on slang and fashion and how different social customs were between eras. Flappers wore long straight dresses with fringe and glitter, and their hair was short and wavy and might be dyed blond. It's these kinds of details that I really enjoy in my historical fiction, things that remind me of how much the world has changed and will change again. I doubt anyone in the 20s would have foreseen the rise of skinny jeans. But enough of that. On with the review! [Also, of course, beware of spoilers]


12682801
Retrieved from Goodreads
Astrid is married, Cordelia is in love with Max, and Lettie is now apprenticed to two of the biggest names in the movies. But beneath all the glitz and glamour, things are not perfect. If people find out the truth about Max, he could lose his career. Astrid's marriage is already fraying at the edges with Charlie becoming more and more erratic. And Lettie would never do anything to hurt the couple she's living with. But she finds herself more and more drawn to the husband. And it seems he might be drawn to her as well. As the summer of 1929 comes to a close, these three girls have to decide what they want with their lives and what they're willing to do to get it.

I think my favorite book in this series is the first one. While I still really enjoyed the threads coming together in this book, and it even got my heart pumping a couple times, some of the threads were sloppier than others. First and foremost: what happened to Good Egg on the night of the party!? And after all the decades of animosity, I couldn't believe that the Hales and the Grays put their feud aside just like that. It seemed too convenient in order to sweep in the new, more violent gang that Charlie was going up against. I think the fact that the Hales and the Grays had more of a gentleman's feud increased the shock to Cordelia and Astrid when the new bad guys turned up meaning business. I loved Max and Cordelia together, but was completely thrown by how that story ended up. Astrid's was better, I think. She was always more airy fairy, but the climax from the last book made her realize more how surface-level her life was. So when her story evolved into the romance I saw coming from book one, I was happy for her. She really matured and came to realize it's not money that makes happiness, but the people you spend your life with. And Lettie...poor Lettie. I wish there had been a scene with her confronting yet another man who used her to his own ends. I really was devastated for her. But luckily she was able to walk away with a promising career. All in all, a satisfying series that couldn't quite pull together everything in the end, but what an enjoyable ride getting there.

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars
Up Next: On Second Thought by Kristan Higgins

No comments:

Post a Comment