Monday, February 20, 2017

On Second Thought

We interrupt our regularly scheduled programming for a review of a romance book by one of my favorite authors. I've been reading Kristan Higgins books since high school and if there's one thing I can say about each and every one of them, it's this: they are hilarious. They may have their sad points and their awkward points, but all of them make me laugh out loud at least once or twice. And that is amazing. So many of the books I read are depressing, even if they're really good. It is hard to write humor, and Higgins succeeds every time.


29095428
Retrieved from Goodreads
96 days ago, Kate got married. 96 days of marriage before she became a widow. Now she's living in a new town trying to work through her grief for a husband she'd known less than a year. Meanwhile, her half sister Ainsley has been with her boyfriend since college. Over ten years of the perfect relationship. And then he was diagnosed with cancer, and everything changed. He became insufferable. All she wants is to marry him and continue their perfect life. But then he dumps her. And blogs about it. And it goes viral. These sisters come together to figure out what to do with their lives and become closer in their shared pain, laughs, and wine.

I binge-read this 500-page book in two days by reading on the train, on my lunch breaks, and settling down with it as soon as I got home from work. There's something about Higgins' books that just flow so easily. The characters are vivid and funny, and there's always a spectacular secondary cast. Her last two books have fallen more in the chick-lit category than straight romance, but it's there in the background as these characters deal with their grief in different ways. And it's so realistic. They go through the stages without seeming to just be checking off the boxes. There are revelations and a scene in a douchey bar that is so satisfying I actually fist pumped while at my desk when it happened. There's hilarity and sadness and everything that is good about Higgins' books. It made me tear up, it made me laugh, it made me care for the characters. And there's delicious food and a cute puppy. I can't sing the praises of this book loud enough. Read it. Seriously. While you do that I'll be sitting in the corner rocking back and forth while waiting for her next book to come out.

Goodreads Rating: 5 Stars
Up Next: Spinning Starlight by R. C. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment