Sunday, November 6, 2016

A Study in Charlotte

I am a moderate to big Sherlock Holmes fan. I read the stories when I was a kid (really freaked out when I listened to the Hound of the Baskervilles on audiobook), I tried to watch Elementary when it came out (I might try again soon), I've seen the RDJ remakes, and I've watched the BBC Sherlock probably 3 or 4 times. I've also written about a few of the stories for English classes. I will not pretend I know the stories back to front. In fact, I'd say I've forgotten most of them. But there are several that still stand out (The Speckled Band being one of them). There is something about these characters that keeps drawing me in. So this will be a totally biased review, just letting everyone know.


23272028
Retrieved from Goodreads
Jamie Watson is a descendant of those Watsons. He's always wanted to meet his Holmes counterpart, Charlotte, but his mother discouraged him. But now he's going to boarding school in America, and as luck would have it, Charlotte is enrolled as well. When the two of them are framed for a murder that recreates a Sherlock story, they must figure out who the real murderer is before they are locked up. Charlotte and Jamie must figure out who they are and how they can work together before their time runs out.

Just. Wow. If there was one thing I wasn't expecting from this book, it was how much it would make me smile. The friendship between Jamie and Charlotte is just SO believable. They care about each other so much, even though they can be wildly difficult. Jamie is a worry-wart with a taste for adrenaline and a bit of a temper. Charlotte is a brilliant drug addict (like that Holmes) with some surprisingly human vulnerabilities and who loves ABBA. Any scene between these two made me so happy. On several occasions I laughed out loud. I had no idea who the killer was and I adored all the deductions Charlotte and (eventually) Jamie make. There's some gruesome bits (ewww diamond down a throat) and some heart-wrenching bits (under the porch). But the feeling I was left with after finishing this book was...hope. And excitement for the next installment. GIMME!!!

Goodreads Rating: 5 Stars
Up Next: The Revenge of Seven by Pittacus Lore

No comments:

Post a Comment