Tuesday, September 6, 2016

The Infinite Sea

Ah, I've got to learn not to follow a dystopian with a dystopian. Especially if they're both also sorta kinda sci-fi and middle books. And with my mood already a bit soured by the disappointment that was Golden Son, perhaps it affected my judgment of The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey which is, I think, less than half the size of its predecessor. You be the judge.


16131484
Retrieved from Goodreads
Cassie Sullivan has her brother back, but still the world is dying. All that is left of the human race is a few scattered people. And a few who have had an alien consciousness awoken inside them. The Others are still tightening the noose around the Earth's neck, and Cassie and her friends still don't know how far they will go to rid the planet of the human scourge.

See that short description up there? That's because not a whole lot happens in this book, and even less of it makes sense. What captivated me about The Fifth Wave was the elegant writing style. It was poetic, but not in the way that Maggie Stiefvater books are poetic. No, it was compulsively readable, enough that I didn't really start to notice the cracks in the story until I was through with it. That writing style is still present here, but to a lesser extent. And when you have already seen the cracks, it's harder to ignore them. Cassie is annoying. I admired her for a good part of The Fifth Wave. Even if she did get distracted and moony over a boy, I admired her dedication to finding her brother and thr toughness she grabbed onto like a lifeline. In this book she just annoyed me. Her maybe romance with Ben Parish flickered and died and made me sad because Ben is a much better match for her than her alien love interest (whose story I had no interest in here). Ringer was the character I was most interested in. I enjoyed reading her backstory, how she managed to stay strong through literal internal torture. I liked her friendship with her captor/carer (again, it's been a while since I read it, so I can't remember all the names). There were some awesome action sequences with her. Aaaaand then she lost me. [SPOILER] She realizes what's been missing in her life is a boy and sex. And the romance was just...forced. I didn't care for it at all. Maybe if it had been realized in the next book. But Ringer did not need a romantic interest. I just...I'm going to read The Last Star, but from what I've heard it's not fantastic. I'll be pleased though if there isn't as many repetitions of the phrase "last star" in it as there were instances of "infinite sea" in this book. You have to earn using your title in your book. This book abused the privilege.

Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars (more like 2.5)
Up Next:  An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

No comments:

Post a Comment