Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Golden Son

Hello, strangers! I kind of disappeared there for a month, didn't I? I haven't done that in a while. Well, it wasn't for lack of reading. In fact, even though I'm behind on my summer reading, I'm still rather proud of the amount I managed to read considering the circumstances. This summer I went back to school! That's right! It was only for a short while, but it was fruitful. You see, I'm now working in publishing again. Like, working in a brick and mortar place with a desk and a coffee pot in the kitchen and my own snazzy filing cabinets. It's crazy and I love it dearly. So you see, between school, interviewing, and then moving my entire life (again) to a different state, thing have been kind of crazy. But that's probably not what you're interested in reading about. No no, you want to know what I thought of Golden Son by Pierce Brown, the second book the Red Rising trilogy. As usual, spoilers ahead.


18966819
Retrieved from Goodreads
Darrow is a fully fledged member of gold society now. But he's an outcast. After a defeat at the academy, his own sponsor wants nothing to do with him and everyone else thinks he's ripe to kill. The rebellion against the golds is growing, but not in the way Darrow thinks his wife would have wanted. He has a new mission: civil war. He must pitch the golds against one another so the reds and lower colors can rise in a new world. But tearing the world apart means betraying people Darrow cares about.

Okay, so my description kind of sucks. I did read this book a while ago and honestly...I can't understand why this series made the splash it did. Darrow's narrative is annoying. He's such a Gary Sue. He repeats the same thoughts over and over, moralizing about how all the horror he's doling out is okay because it's in the service of Eo's dreams. Well, I agreed with him until the twenty-seventh time he thought about it. Then I just got bored. I didn't care enough about most of the characters to find their power games scintillating, which bums me out because wars with words are one of my favorite parts of books. Instead, Brown kills off most of the characters who might have been interesting or posed trouble to the cause of the reds. Darrow's boring and Mustang's gone most of the time. Sevro is crazy and probably one of my favorites. The ending got my heart going a bit, but I still didn't know enough about the secondary characters to feel all that invested. Brown can certainly write a battle scene, I'll give him that, and his technology spiels were interesting. If he'd just had a lighter hand with the moralizing I would have enjoyed this more.

Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars (more like 2.5)
Up Next: The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey

No comments:

Post a Comment