Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Falling Kingdoms

I'm baaaaack with  more backlogged reviews! This time it's for Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes, a fantasy which has been on my radar for a while now. As you all know, fantasy is the genre which finds itself in my hands most often, so I'm a harsher judge than I am of, say, contemporary fiction which I don't read very often. But anyways, I'll get right to the point because I'm tired and need to go to bed soon.

12954620
Retrieved from Goodreads
When princess Cleo witnesses a violent crime, it throws the three kingdoms of Mytica into chaos. magic has vanished from the land and all but Cleo's kingdom seems to be dying. Meanwhile, Jonas seeks revenge on the princess for her part in his brother's death, and Magnus is at the whims of his father's power-hungry desires. The key to saving everyone could be magic, but the keys to unlocking are lost.

I just...don't think I was the audience for this book, even though I thought I was. I love multiple POVs, but I didn't care about any of these characters. Jonas is forgotten for a good chunk of the book, Cleo is whiny, and Magnus was too different between how he acted and what he thought. And there were a few more POVs mixed in that barely registered. There was instalove and over-dramatic death. There was a war with a twist I saw coming a mile away...I could go on and on. There wasn't enough magic for my taste, and it wasn't well defined at all. But if there was one thing that made it so I knew I wasn't going to pick up book two was how overwrought everyone was about everything. There were horrible things happening, but I was never made to care about them. When bad things happened to Cleo's family, I didn't weep because it hurt her on a personal level. When all of the characters were presented with their next challenge for book two, it wasn't earned for me. I know a lot of people loved this series, but I'm going to stop with book one. 

Goodreads Rating: 2 Stars
Up Next: Ice Like Fire by Sara Raasch

No comments:

Post a Comment