Sunday, September 25, 2016

Empire of Storms

I took over two weeks to read this book. Why? Well, on the one hand I've been very busy and exhausted with work. On the other...I didn't want the magic to end. Because the next book in this series is the last one, and the last book in the ACOTAR series comes out in like 6 months and I'm not sure I'm ready for these series to be done. I will absolutely read anything else Sarah J. Maas writes, but the Throne of Glass series holds a very special place in my heart. You all know my feelings on these books, so if you don't want to read a sappy, gushing review, you should probably read one of my other reviews. So, without further ado!

Aelin Galathynius is ready to claim her place as queen of Terrasen. But dark forces brew on the horizon and what she needs are allies. And they are in short supply. With cryptic warnings from long-dead royals, and her potential friends scattered, Aelin and her remnants of a court journey toward a Lock that is supposed to help save Erilea from Erawan, the Valg king. Obstacles lie in their path, both inside and without. Snares laid millennia ago are closing, and only Aelin and her court might just stand a chance against their enemies, if only they can unravel the riddles.


28260587
Image: Goodreads
This book. Just...wow. I'll admit, the first few chapters were slower for me. And I'll admit that there were a few too many battles for my taste (see: my love of court intrigue and verbal sparring). But, guys, in the end I just did not care. This book is a behemoth, and I read the majority of it over two days. This series, which started as a fantasy series with a love triangle, has involved into this epic fantasy that has my toes curling in pleasure. So many times in series with many POVs, I want to skip through to the main POV (see my review of Falling Kingdoms). But, guys, the secondary POVs here...they blew me away. All the ships in this book could make an armada. Elide and Lorchan, Aedion and Lysandra, Dorian and Manon (I'll admit, that one threw me for a loop). AND, GUYS. When all of these characters finally converge, for the first time since the series started when I wasn't really sure why Manon was featured (HA I was such a sweet flower child), IT WAS EVEN MORE GLORIOUS THAN I IMAGINED. All the intrigue, all the banter, all the secret plans and Lysandra's shifting and Elide's hope and Aelin's snark and, oh man, I can barely talk about it. And that ending. Guys, that ending. The ending of ACOMAF killed me. This book ties as an ending that destroyed me. How in the world am I going to wait a year for the final installment? What am I going to do with my life once this series is finished? Will I be doomed to spend a lifetime writing fanfiction of Lysandra shifting into a ghost leopard and scaring the pants off people by waiting around castle corners? Or about Lyria and Rowan or Dorian learning to fly a wyvern? How will I cope?

Anyway, if you've made it this far in my review, you know my stance. Read this series. Now. What are you still doing reading this review? GO BUY THIS SERIES!

Goodreads Rating: 5 Stars
Up Next: A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro

1 comment: