Sunday, June 19, 2016

5th Year Blogoversary

I missed it again! My five-year blogoversary was actually on May 19th, but better late than never! It's hard to believe it's been five years. When I started this blog I had just graduated high school and was just starting to dip my toe in the publishing world. I had only just heard of things like Absolute Write Water Cooler and Publisher's Weekly. Had just learned about literary agents and foolishly thought I would sell them my first book. I got a lot of rejections on that query letter.

And here we are, five years later. I've written six books, one of which was briefly published. I've worked for publishing houses and a literary agency. I've lived abroad and become a much more confident version of myself. I've graduated college and had my heart broken. I've moved away from my childhood home. I've discovered a love of cooking and baking.

But some things are still the same. I still binge-eat chocolate. I still wear socks that go up to me knees. I still buy more books than I could possibly read in a year. I love to travel and snuggle with dogs.

I still love to write. It was rough going there after Balancing Act came off the virtual shelves. I wrote two books to try to discover that feeling again. That fun. With Poison Ivy I poured all my bitterness into the main character, letting her fuel my outrage at having my lifelong dream come true only to be ripped away. Masque was written solely for fun. I have no intention of ever trying to edit it or get it published. It's a book just for me, just to remind myself why I was drawn to writing in the first place.

Now I'm writing my seventh book, Spiral, and it's fun and heartbreaking and the first book I might consider sending out to agents since that fateful day Entranced Publishing closed its doors for good.

I'm a different person than the one who started this blog. I'm smarter, wiser, warier. And maybe for the first time in a long while, I feel the excitement and hope that ran through me when I hit publish on my very first post.

No comments:

Post a Comment