Friday, April 15, 2016

Reasons I Love Kestrel

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. It's not even 3pm and already I feel like I've accomplished enough things that I'm free to lounge for the rest of the week. I've cleaned, run errands, completed a couple projects I've been meaning to get to, and I've baked. How have I done all this, you ask? Well, I have to get up so early to get to work these days that sleeping in till 8am has become a luxury, one that I can't extend to say...9am. So I'm up at 8 on my day off. I'm working my way through The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan right now, so I should have a review for ya'll soon. In the meantime, enjoy reasons I love Kestrel (the heroine of The Winner's Curse series).

  • She's calculating. I always love a hero(ine) that is calculating. I love hearing about the different strategies running through their minds, the little details about people they pick up on that affect how they respond to their world. Kestrel loves to win, so she's calculating in a way that starts as a game, but over the course of the series becomes a necessity.
  • Her relationship with her father. Familial relationships are incredibly important and nuanced. But oftentimes they are reduced to Good Parent/Bad Parent when they serve as a secondary character to a plot. But in this series, despite Kestrel's father's secondary status, Kestrel's love and hate of him comes through the pages very clearly. They play games with each other, both wanting to win but interested to see if the other will beat them. Very interesting to watch.
  • She's withdrawn. Over the course of the series, Kestrel goes from being a moderately open person to one who gives out pieces of herself in dribs and drabs. Especially with Arin. Although she can't be very open with him even in the first book due to him being her slave, by the end of the book she has had to seal herself off to keep him, and herself, safe. Watching that happen, and then seeing her struggle to take down those self-imposed walls, was a treat.
Unfortunately, I haven't more for you on this that isn't retreading things I've already written about other main characters. If you've been following this blog for a while I think you'll know how I love my complex main characters. I want them strong AND weak, vulnerable AND wary. Seeing these conflicting characteristics is (for me) what makes the difference between a character that is carried by their story and a story that is carried by its characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment