Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Deliverance

I feel like I've been finishing a lot of series lately. The His Fair Assassins series, the Seven Realms series, and now the Defiance series by C. J. Redwine. And once again, I'm really late in posting this review. I wish I could say I had an excuse, but I don't. I just haven't been feeling like blogging lately. In fact, I've been wondering if I should shift this blog in a new direction in order to spice things up for both me and my (most likely) four readers. But that's a topic for another post.


19099494
Retrieved from Goodreads
Rachel has been taken by Ian to be delivered to Rowansmark for her pain atonement. But with how much Ian hates her and blames her for the death of his father, she might not make it there alive. Meanwhile, Logan faces judgment in Lankenshire, and must make a deal with the devil if he wants to save his people and the other city-states from Rowansmark and the Cursed Ones. But most of all, he wants to save Rachel. These two battle their way to survival and each other in this last book in the Defiance series.

It's always weird when two main characters are madly in love but spend an entire book apart. It's like, I know it's only been two weeks for them, but it's been nearly 500 pages and 1/3 of the series to me. So when by midway through the book, I didn't really care about Rachel and Logan being together because there had not been one seen with them physically together to remind me why I should ship them and want them to make their way to each other. But that's a minor gripe. In the main, this was a quick read that brought many different threads together from the other books to have a finale. I thought the final climax was meh, but Rachel withstanding lashings and nearly dying several times to save herself from Ian and then to set herself up strategically was very nice. Logan was...boring. His martyring was much less interesting that Rachel trying to pull herself out of her self destructing loop. Willow was badass, and Quinn was a loyal friend. I'm not sure if I'll read Redwine's next series, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars
Up Next: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

No comments:

Post a Comment