Saturday, January 2, 2016

The Exiled Queen

Review number three of the day! This book was read from the comfort of my family's house, where I'm spending the holidays. I must say, it is nice to have someone else doing the cooking, although after binge-watching The Great British Baking Show, I have a lot of things to try out at some point. Maybe that will be my reward for finishing writing Masque! I shall make tuile. The Exiled Queen is the second book in the Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima. I'm actually reading two of her series at the same time, and this is my favorite of the two.


7801229
Retrieved from Goodreads
Princess Raisa ana'Marianna is fleeing the Fells to Oden's Ford, a school in a neutral part of the seven realms where she hopes to hide as Rebecca Morley to avoid an arranged marriage to Micah Bayar. If she is discovered she could be dragged back home to make what she believes is a politically disadvantageous marriage. She might even be killed. At the same time, Han Allister and his friend Dancer travel to Oden's Ford to train as wizards. Han is to be a tool for the Clans when he is trained, but that's not his true interest. No, he wants revenge on the Bayar family for the deaths of his mother and sister. But when he arrives at the school, he learns there's much more at stake. Political intrigue, romance, and danger all collide as Raisa and Han meet, and their secrets turn deadly.

There is so much to like about this book. The world is expanded more in this book, which I adore, and there's political maneuvering and a war on the horizon. I do think too much of this book was spent on getting to Oden's Ford, but then I realized there are four books in this series instead of three, so that is more forgivable. I loved seeing Raisa and Han meet, since their interactions were some of my favorite in the last book. Of course, he doesn't know she's the princess, which makes every interaction even more interesting. I was so sad for Raisa and Amon and all that's keeping them apart. It's actually a love V I can get behind, because there are real obstacles between Raisa and both men. I did find Aediion to be weird and rather confusing, and hope that it is explained more thoroughly in the next book, which I'm currently reading. All in all though, I good second installment where plenty happened!

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars
Up Next: If You Only Knew by Kristan Higgins

No comments:

Post a Comment