Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Red Rising

Hello again! Yesterday I finished reading Red Rising by Pierce Brown. This book was a birthday present from a friend who really really enjoyed it. And since I trust his instinct on books, I wanted to give it a go.


15839976
Retrieved from Goodreads
Darrow is a Red. He is a pioneer, a miner preparing Mars for colonization. But then one simple act of defiance against his overseers changes everything. Sentenced to die, Darrow instead finds himself with a group of rebels who expose him to the truth: Mars has been colonized for generations. The Reds are slaves, their rulers are the Golds. In order to end the horror, Darrow must become a Gold and infiltrate them at the highest level possible. But first he has to get through the Institute's schooling which might just kill him first.

This book left me with one burning question: Do guys really talk about balls this much? It seemed a bit excessive. But on to other things. The story here is like Ender's Game meets The Hunger Games. Unlike lots of stories, I felt like enough time was spent developing Darrow's life as a Red and his marriage to Eo before he found out about the colonization. And the process that turned him into a Gold was truly horrific. I have more mixed feelings about the school where Golds are pitted against each other in teams until one dominates the rest. The idea of the teams being divided and represented by different Greek "gods" was interesting, and reminded me of Divergent. I did find myself losing a bit of interest in the middle where Darrow seems to forget his overall goal of succeeding so he can overthrow the Golds. I wish more time had been spent on the revelation about Titus too. He was an integral character in the first part of the games and the reveal needed a bit more pondering. Let's see, what else did I notice? There were times I worried that all the females in this book would be stereotyped (being either silly, flirty, or easily-captured), but the character of Mustang helped with that. In the end I wasn't positive why this story had to take place on Mars, but I hope it'll become more relevant in the next book, which I will be reading!

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars (more like 3.5)
Up Next: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

No comments:

Post a Comment