Monday, October 26, 2015

The Wizard Heir

Guys, I met Marie Lu! And she was funny and insightful and AH. Okay, I've got that out of my system now. I'll talk about it more when I review The Rose Society. But today is about reviewing The Wizard Heir by Cinda Williams Chima. This is the second book in The Heir Chronicles, so as usual beware mild spoilers if you haven't read the first one.


500743
Retrieved from Goodreads
Seph has been bounced around schools for the last few years because of his unfortunate habit of accidentally blowing things up with his magic. With his foster mother dead, the family lawyer is his guardian, and he ships him off to a secluded school in Maine where there's no internet access, the alumni still live on campus, and the headmaster has a sinister interest in Seph. As Seph unravels the mysteries behind his school, he learns there is more to being a wizard than having powers. He's at the center of a community on the brink of war, where everyone wants him on their side.

I had a decent time reading the first book in this series. My problems with it lay in it's summarization of events that I would have preferred to have read about. This would have given me more emotional attachment to the characters. But overall it was a pleasant read, so I figured I'd give The Wizard Heir a go. This book is significantly darker, though not crossing over into heart-pounding. The school Seph ends up at has a really creepy headmaster, who I disliked from page one. The torture he puts Seph through is horrific, and I felt so bad when all of Seph's plans failed. [spoiler] After he leaves the school, though, things really slow down, and there's the addition of a love interest that I found really unnecessary. I didn't get sparks from them at all. Is the character's power cool? Absolutely. Why did she have to be a love interest? No clue. The climax had some funny moments and some interesting reveals that I'd sort of guessed at already. Overall, not my favorite book but still nice enough to read the next book.

Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars
Up Next: The Rose Society by Marie Lu

No comments:

Post a Comment