Thursday, October 1, 2015

Summer Reading 2015

It's the end of summer, and you know what that means! A round-up of all the books I read over the last four months. It's hard to believe this is my fourth year doing this. Unfortunately, I didn't top my best summer, in which I read 34 books, but to be fair that did result in my getting glasses, so maybe that's a good thing. This summer saw a lot of big developments in my life. I walked in my graduation ceremonies, so I am in all respects no longer an undergrad. I got my first on-site publishing job (squee!). I celebrated my birthday with some amazing whitewater rafting. I moved to California. And in between, I read 28 books!

Here's the genre breakdown: 8 fantasy, 7 paranormal, 4 historical fiction, 4 dystopian, 4 sci-fi, and 1 romance. As usual, fantasy leads the charge as my most common genre.

Another interesting thing about the books I read this summer is that many of them closed out series I've been reading for at least the last three years. Actually, 8 of the 25 were the final books in their series. This makes it more difficult for me to recommend them, as you'd have to commit to the series instead of just trying out the first book. In those cases, I suppose I will recommend the entire series.

Highly Recommended: The Winner's Trilogy by Marie Rutkoski (historical-ish dystopianish romance), Wolves of Mercy Falls series by Maggie Stiefvater (paranormal), The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo (fantasy), and the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas (fantasy)

Recommended: Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch (fantasy), the Luxe series by Anna Godbersen (historical romance), and the Curse Workers trilogy by Holly Black (urban fantasy)

All of these books I gave three stars or higher on Goodreads. The ones on the highly recommended list I tore through as fast as possible because I adored them. Also I just want a bunch of people to read these books so I can talk to them about these awesome characters and worlds! You can check out the full list of books and their accompanying reviews either by looking at the Summer Reading 2015 tab above, or by hitting the Reviews label to the right.

This year starts a new chapter for me. I'm no longer a college writer. I'm an...adult writer, I suppose. I'm not starting school this month, or any month soon. Instead I'm making my way in the world, looking for work, finding the place where I want to plant my roots, and dealing with super fun things like taxes and insurance. But for every crappy day to come, and for every great day, I will always have a book by my side.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment