Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Six of Crows

Ahh Leigh Bardugo, one of the funniest authors I have ever met. I got the first book of her new series, Six of Crows, on the day it came out. But it was yesterday, while I was waiting for my cheese bread to bake, that I finished it off. It's been boiling hot recently, so it was quite stupid to bake, but I've never been the most logical when it comes to timing things like that. But anyway, this isn't a cooking blog. This is a book blog, and you'd rather hear my thoughts on Six of Crows.


22294935
Retrieved from Goodreads
The Ravkan civil war is over, but the repercussions are still causing waves throughout the world. In the city of Ketterdam, a new substance that dangerously enhances Grisha powers is being fought over. Some want to destroy it, others want to market it. Enter Kaz, a leader of the Dregs gang. When he's hired to break out the only man capable of replicating the formula from an impregnable fortress, he knows he's going to need a crew. And the one he assembles is as motley as they come. There's Nina, the Grisha working to repay a life debt. Matthias, a Fjerdan who despises Grisha and has spent the last year in prison. Inej, known as the Wraith, capable of passing silently anywhere, and the right hand of Kaz. Jesper, a sharpshooter who likes to gamble more than he should. And Wylan, son of a merchant with a talent for demolitions. They have to break the scientist out before someone else gets to him, and if they live, it'll be the payout of a lifetime.

I love the Ravkan world, and Bardugo's talent for making cultures distinct and layered. While I was bummed that Ravka didn't factor in much with this new series, I did enjoy the new lands we were exposed to: Fjerda and Katterdam. I loved how distinct each of the characters were and the side deals and Oceans Eleven-style plot. I will absolutely be reading the rest of this series. I did have one quibble, though. While I did enjoy the characters, I felt like, because there were so many POVs, I didn't get to know each of them as well as I wanted. When Matthias has a huge character turnaround, I didn't necessarily think the progress was shown enough. Kaz's undoing was more gradual, but I still wanted more. Overall, I felt like I had a really good introduction to these characters that I'll grow to love over two more books, but if there had been just 50 more pages or something, I would have felt better about the character development that occurred. Other than that, it was a fun story with some romantic interests and some political intrigue and two heartbreaking things that I'm interested to see play out.

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars
Up Next: The Rose Society by Marie Lu

No comments:

Post a Comment