Wednesday, October 7, 2015

200th Review: Catalyst

I can't believe it, but this is my 200th review on this blog. Forgive me for patting myself on the back, but I'm quite proud that I've managed to keep this blog going for long enough to write 200 reviews. Over the years this blog has shifted from talking about writing to focusing on reviews with some writing interspersed. It's been a quiet last few days. I spent the weekend with an awesome friend, so I'm coming down off a very busy couple days. It's been a lot of Cheers and bingeing on the chocolate caramel tortes I made. Also, reading, of course!


18054017
Retrieved from Goodreads
Tom has made it to an Upper, something that shouldn't have been possible with his track record. But it's not everything it's cracked up to be. A new general has taken over the Pentagonal Spire, and is running the place like a military base. New neural processors are being tested, and might be given to the general public. Tom is keeping even more secrets than ever from his friends. And Medusa isn't talking to him after his stunt with the skyboards. But the worst is yet to come, and if Tom can't keep a clear head, he might unwittingly help bring down the entire planet.

I've adored these books from the first. I love how hotheaded Tom is, and the jokes with the coding actually make me chuckle. I'm friends with a lot of programmers, and apparently I've picked up some stuff! The story in this book experiences a drastic change, one which had extreme consequences. It was horrifying, and led to a plot line that left me very sad. I actually stayed up past two the day I read this book because I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep if I put it down. What I really enjoyed about this book was the development of Vengerov, who had been the shadowy villain without much substance. I also liked the development of Blackburn. Every book revealed more of his character and changed how I saw him. Overall, I just enjoyed this book. The last few chapters had me smiling sadly, which only my favorite books do. I would definitely recommend reading this series.

Goodreads Rating: 5 Stars
Up Next: Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

No comments:

Post a Comment