Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Salvage

Today is the last day I have to finish my summer reading project, which means finishing three books. Can I do it? Probably not. But yesterday I finished off Salvage by Alexandra Duncan. I got this book a while ago, mostly because Beth Revis promoted it. Also, it has a pretty cover. Interesting note: I knew all of the authors who blurbed Salvage, and in fact have read at least three of each of their books. That was pretty cool!


13518102
Retrieved from Goodreads
Ava was born to be a bride, given in trade to another trade ship in exchange for treaties and goods. But when she makes a mistake on the night before her wedding, she is cast out and sentenced to death. Instead, she escapes to Earth where she finds a world completely different from the one she left. A world where women can and do work, where the gravity drags at her bones, and somewhere there is the truth behind her family's origins.

Well, this book was absolutely nothing like I thought it would be. I thought, weirdly, that it would be like These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Megan Spooner. Starts in space and ends up on an abandoned planet. Nope, that's not it at all. Ava does live on a spaceship, and does end up on Earth, but Earth is absolutely populated. I will give this book one thing: it definitely develops its world, down to the smaller technology. Could I have lived with fewer descriptions of fixing tech that milks goats? Yeah, I could have. Once Ava gets to Earth the world development gets more interesting. Unfortunately, it's also when the plot seemingly disappears for a couple hundred pages. Actually, I'm not sure there was a plot. Ava heals, learns to read, and how to help Miyole and her mother, then ends up in Mumbai and gets her first job and stuff. She looks for her aunt. Some people don't like the new way of talking that Duncan employs here, but it didn't really bother me. Maybe because I listened to this as an audiobook. I was rather surprised that this was a standalone book, but considering the lack of plot, I'm not all that disappointed. There is a companion book about Miyole, which I might read just to see if Duncan's writing has evolved. 

Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars
Up Next: Strange and Ever After by Susan Dennard

No comments:

Post a Comment