Friday, September 4, 2015

Red Glove

Okay, this review is a bit late. I actually finished this book on Monday, but I've had such a busy week, I've been too tired at the end of the day to write up a blog post. Also, I got my pre-ordered copy of Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas, so all my free time has been spent reading that. But anyway, as usual, this is a sequel so there will be mild spoilers if you haven't read the first one. Although, if you haven't read the first one I don't know why you'd be reading a review of the second one. Anywho, onward!


11771994
Retrieved from Goodreads
A new school year is starting for Cassel Sharpe, and he's back at Wallingford where he's got his special effects guru Sam, and his activist friend Daneca and curseworked-to-love-him Lila, daughter of a mob boss. His brother has forgotten he was part of the plot to bring down Cassel, and his nutbag emotion worker of a mother is out of jail. And, perhaps worst of all, Cassel has discovered he's a worker, the rarest kind of worker, and that makes him valuable to the Feds and the crime families. When Cassel's brother Philip turns up dead, Cassel is put on the case to figure out who did it, while also navigating the cons everyone around him seems to be playing.

So, Holly Black is awesome at world building and details. It's great that all of her characters aren't just "jeans and t-shirt" people because honestly you can be an awesome person and still care about your appearance. Okay, getting off my soapbox now. So, this book has fun dialogue and an interesting world and good friendships. It's plot is plodding and sort of not there until the very end, but if you didn't mind it in White Cat, you won't mind it here. It's a short read with some good writing, and most of the time I'm willing to overlook a plodding plot if the characters are interesting. It's harder for me to read a book with zero character development and a really fast plot (looking at you, Lorien Legacies). The ending is a nice set up for the third book and I felt sad when I read it, which doesn't happen often. So, overall, a pleasant read. I'm giving this one 3.5 stars because of the world building.

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars (3.5 actually)
Up Next: Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas

No comments:

Post a Comment