Sunday, September 27, 2015

Black Heart

We're down to the wire with my summer reading project! I have until the 30th to finish reading five more books. Can I do it? I don't know. But I'm sure as hell going to try. It's overcast in California today, which for this state is basically a storm, so I'm going to curl up with Splendor by Anna Godbersen today after telling you all about Black Heart by Holly Black. This is the last book in the Curse Workers series, so beware spoilers.


8884616
Retrieved from Goodreads
Cassel's mom is on the run after working a governor who hates her kind. Barron has reluctantly joined the FBI after his brother gave him no choice, and Cassel is supposed to join him after he graduates from Wallingford. If he graduates. Between Sam and Daneca fighting, Mina Lange asking for his help, and his home life being the joke it is, Cassel barely any brain power to devote to school. And now the feds and Zacharov need him to work for him. It's amazing Cassel's survived this long.

These books have something sort of odd about them: they are very self-contained. Like, there's not really a plot that carries over from one book to the next. Mina Lange is really important to this story, but you don't see her in the other books. There are lots of things like this in this series. And I do enjoy this series. The dialogue is snappy and the world is nicely rounded. The cons have many twists and turns and there is character development across the book. There were a few things that bothered me, though. I didn't really understand why Cassel loved Lila so much. I wish I could have seen more of that. Also, the ending. One of the plot points is sort of thrown away as unimportant when the reader is made to believe throughout the story that it is important. Also, overall the ending left too much up in the air for my taste. I know a lot of writers like to leave things ambiguous (looking at you, Lauren Oliver) but I want at least the majority of things to get wrapped up. I don't want it tied with a neat little bow, but closure is nice on a series. The readers stuck it out to get to that point, they deserve to know what happens to the characters.

Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars
Up Next: Splendor by Anna Godbersen

No comments:

Post a Comment