Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The Heir

Yeah, I know it's been a really long time since I've posted a review. It has been a long time, but as usual I have an excuse. For one, I've been tired lately. Work's been really busy lately, and I've been watching a lot of Parks and Rec which is an awesome show! I know I'm late to the game on this one, but I love it. I also had my birthday! This year, in keeping with tradition, I went on a semi-scary adventure. Last year it was hot air ballooning. This year it was whitewater rafting! I had a great time. Along with my birthday came a slew of new books that I've been wanting. The first one I dug into was The Heir by Kiera Cass.


22918050
Retrieved from Goodreads
It's been 20 years since America and Maxon chose each other. In that time, the caste system has been dissolved and they've had four children. Eadlyn beat out her brother as heir to the throne by seven minutes. She leads the life of a princess, with the responsibilities and the perks. But the people are restless. In the hopes of distracting them, Eadlyn participates in a Selection of her own, though she has no intentions of getting married to any of them. She has a plan. She'll drive all thirty-five suitors away while also giving her country something else to think about. But as she gets to know some of the men, it becomes easier said than done.

I have always been conflicted about Kiera Cass's books. I really didn't like The Elite, and despite The Selection having all kinds of problems, I found myself liking it. It was the same way with The Heir. I honestly have mixed feelings about Eadlyn. She is mean to her maid, and she's snotty to her brother. She makes some bad decisions. But I couldn't decide if that made enough sense for me to believe it. She has led a very isolated, sheltered life. She's not going to understand the nuances of dating or regular social relationships. But sometimes she was really mean. It was great to see America and Maxon and Marlee and Lucy and May again. It was a pleasant, fast read, and while I found the reason for the Selection to be contrived, I actually thought some interesting things happened. And I don't know who she's going to end up with, which is nice! And the ending did get me in the heart. So I think I'll read the fifth book in this series. It's always a pleasant few hours when I read a Cass novel.

Goodreads Rating: 4 stars (more like 3.5)
Up Next: Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater

No comments:

Post a Comment