Sunday, August 23, 2015

Emerald Green

I completely missed it with my last post, but that review of Rumors by Anna Godbersen was my 500th post on my blog! I can't believe I've been blogging for so long. I actually missed blogging on the fourth year blogoversary! Four years and 500 posts later. Hard to believe. Well, anyway, today I'm reviewing another book with a girl in a dress on the cover. Emerald Green by Kerstin Gier is the third and final book in the Ruby Red Trilogy featuring time travelers.


14759651
Retrieved from Goodreads
It's only been two weeks since Gwenyth found out she was born with a time travelling gene, but her life has become something more intense than insane. She has to travel back in time every day to avoid doing it accidentally, and she's part of a circle of twelve time travelers whose blood fuels the chronograph that sends them back in time. The Guardians are sticking to Count Saint-Germain's plan to read all twelve travelers' blood into the chronograph, but more and more Gwenyth doesn't trust this plan. If only someone would believe her. Her only possible ally, her fellow traveler Gideon, seems to have been manipulating her to fall in love with him for his own mysterious ends. Gwenyth needs to figure out what's going on, but she's very short on time.

Sooo I've liked these books for the snappy dialogue and the pretty descriptions of clothes and the fast pace. The time travelling framework has never been...spotless. Not being able to travel purposefully to the future seemed weird, and I had a hard time keeping track of all the moving parts of the story, maybe because I didn't read them all one right after the other. But this book had all the things I've been reading them for, so overall I thoroughly enjoyed the story. There was one little hiccup at the end that really bothered me though, and kept this from five stars. Spoilers ahead so stop reading if you don't want to know something really big: So Gwenyth is immortal, and to become immortal himself, the count is supposed to kill her, but she can't die unless she kills herself for the sake of love. To get around this, Gideon makes himself immortal, and it's sort of a serious as all get out thing that is glossed over. Gwen will outlive everyone around her, and Gideon joined her in immortality after knowing her for like two and a half weeks. These are important things that are mostly ignored at the end of the story. That bugged me.

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars (more like 3.5)
Up Next: Red Glove by Holly Black

No comments:

Post a Comment