Friday, July 31, 2015

The Warrior Heir

I adore fantasy novels. If I were to give it some thought, I'd say fantasy, from high to low, from urban to funky, is the genre that most often populates my shelves. I don't know why particularly. It's not like I dislike contemporary or paranormal or sci-fi or dystopian. All have a pretty good presence on my shelves. Maybe I'm drawn to the concept of magic, or the amazing worlds, or the intrigue that often accompanies these stories. For whatever reason, At least 2/3rds of the books on my Summer Reading List this summer are fantasy, if I'm counting correctly.


213647
Retrieved from Goodreads
Jack Swift was never supposed to be a warrior. He was born a wizard, but without the stone behind his heart that gives him his powers. He was dying, until Jessamine Longbranch inserted a stone. But she wanted a warrior to play in the Game, so she made him one and then suppressed his powers so he wouldn't be detected until she was ready to play him. Jack grew up utterly normal  in Trinity, Ohio, until  one morning he missed his medicine. Now he's leaking magic everywhere and he doesn't know how to control it. Malevolent forces are closing in, prepared to steal him to play in the Game or eliminate him so the other side can't use him. He has to train, fast, or risk being killed.

Good writing, fast pace, and an interesting premise. Often, this is all I will require of a book. I don't expect every book to wow me like a Maggie Stiefvater or make my heart ache like a Sarah J. Maas. This was a quick, pleasant read, with a few flaws. One of which was that a character's actions that become really important later, is skimmed over in the rest of the book, so there is no chance for the reader to become suspicious or to connect the same dots as Jack. The character needed more actual screen time instead of a summary of time passing where they were lumped in. Additionally, the huge chunks of time passing bugged me a bit,because really important/interesting things were skimmed over. Like, there's this character Brooks. He becomes majorly important, but he gets maybe two pages of screen time. So, yeah, I'll read The Wizard Heir because I like pleasant, quick reads. But no one is dethroning Stiefvater and Maas from my Fall of Fame anytime soon.

Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars
Up Next: The Gathering Storm by Robin Bridges

No comments:

Post a Comment