Saturday, July 4, 2015

Rose Under Fire

So it's been a while since I got this book. It was raining, so it feels like at least 6 months. We are having a nearly unbearable heat wave here in the PNW. The weather is going to be in the low 90s for the next week which is just nuts. Thank god my office building has air conditioning. Unfortunately, home does not. I've taken to laying on my bed with an ice pack on my back so I can cool off enough to fall asleep. Well, anyways, I finally finished off Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein, the companion novel to Code Name Verity.


20454605
Retrieved from Goodreads
Rose is an American pilot who ferries planes around England during WWII. It's post D-Day and the allies are pushing the Germans back. And they're finding some people in camps, and the word on the news is that unspeakable things have been done to them. Rose isn't sure she believes it. But then she's captured by Germans while flying in France and put in Ravensbruck, a concentration camp for women. There she experiences many atrocities, and develops friendships forged in starvation, beatings, corpse-filled buildings, and the occasional camp song.

Okay, just going to put it out there: I liked Code Name Verity better. That book hit me in the heart and it had a cool twist, and I liked the journaling style because you got glimpses of how the main characters were doing as they were writing. This book has a really cool premise, and showcases the strength of friendship once again, which I loved. But...there was no twist, and I wish there had been more about Rose as she had written her experiences down. I liked the Maddie cameo, but I knew going into it that Rose was going to live. Of course, there would have been no way for her to write down her experience in the camp, but it definitely took away some suspense. The things that she does see are horrific, and I shouldn't have read this book before bed because it was in my head as I tried to sleep. I skipped the poetry bits. I'm just not a poetry person. There's a sonnet I love, and a poem by Frost, but other than that I know nothing about poetry. Overall, a good read. I'll definitely read Black Dove White Raven when it comes out in paperback.

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars
Up Next: Deception by C.J. Redwine

No comments:

Post a Comment