Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The Rise of Nine

So I did a stupid thing. I basically read two books in two days. You'd think I'd know better considering it's only recently I've been able to stop wearing glasses. Well, it is what it is. Today I got home from work, made some raspberry cookies, and settled in with The Rise of Nine by Pittacus Lore (AKA James Frey and Jobie Hughes), the third installment in the Lorien Legacies.


12971616
Retrieved from Goodreads
John and Nine are trying to find Sam and Sarah and meet up with the other Garde. Six, Ten, and Marina are trying to find Eight in India. The Mogadorians seem to be working with the US government. There're new powers and magic objects and stuff. They all end up heading toward New Mexico.

Okay, I'm sorry, that description sucked. But I'm really tired and honestly the plot of this book is really simple. There aren't any twists to keep you guessing. For a book that had three POVs, all the voices sounded very similar. It honestly felt like a book that wanted to be turned into a movie. There were a lot of action sequences where you know no one is going to die because there are still 4 books to go. After a while I started skimming to see if anything important happened. There was a lot of dialogue that felt...I dunno...movie-esque. Maybe I'm cynical because of what I know about James Frey. And if you don't know the story, you should look him up. So basically this book was a really quick, easy read that had lots of "dude" and "used my telekenesis" (seriously, there must be 50 instances of that one term at least) and a hastily put together love interest that appeared and then disappeared after a chapter. Honestly, this series leaves me bored, but I already own The Fall of Five so I think I'll keep reading. It wasn't all bad. Bernie Kosar is awesome. And when Sam is on the page he's pretty fun too (missing from this book). Bed now.

Goodreads Rating: 2 Stars
Up Next: Blue Fire by Janice Hardy

No comments:

Post a Comment