Friday, July 10, 2015

The Fall of Five

Yeah, I know, I was talking last time about how my eyes were tired from reading too much in a short period of time. But I swear I listened to this one on audiobook. I'm still tired, but that's mostly because work is busy and I had a couple glasses of wine. And it's hot outside. Okay, enough with the excuses. I bought the Rise of Nine and the Fall of Five a while back when they were on sale. But I've never been crazy about this series. So if you don't want to hear a kind of negative review, don't read on. This is also the fourth book in the series, so spoiler warning.


15861491
Retrieved from Goodreads
All of the Garde are reunited. But that doesn't mean everything's paradise. Five is unlike the rest of them, and some are trying harder than others to get to know him. Everyone also has different ideas for what to do next. As they train and plan, their differences are illuminated, yet the looming threat of the Mogadorians doesn't seem so bad when they're all together.

Talk about a book where nothing happened. Here's what happened: They want to find Five. Sam shows up. They find Five. People don't get along with Five. They train as if it's a huge action scene. Insert obvious twist. Curtain. I don't know why this series bothers me so much. I don't know why I keep reading it even though it bothers me so much. Maybe it's because I don't know why I don't love it. Maybe it has something to do with how predictable it is. I can tell a mile away when a chapter is going to have a cliffhanger so the next time the author returns to that POV it'll be an action scene. There's also the fact that 3 out of 4 books in this series have ended with the adult figure dying. Five's betrayal was also blatantly obvious, and the title of this book didn't help. I just...this book is written fine. It was nice to see Sam again, and the book does acknowledge its flaws in the dialogue. But...everyone has too many powers, and everyone is so one note. Six is fierce, Four is the leader, Ella is young, Sarah is the supportive girlfriend, Marina is the shy one, Eight is the joker, Nine is brash, etc. I just...I feel like I'm reading the script for an action movie. I don't know if I'll read the next one. Maybe if it goes on sale.

Goodreads Rating: 2 Stars
Up Next: Blue Fire by Janice Hardy

No comments:

Post a Comment