Saturday, July 18, 2015

Die for Me

Actually this review is a few days late. I had a stomach bug earlier in the week and it laid me low for a couple days so I mostly just stayed on my couch and read for my internship, holding my stomach, and occasionally listening to an audiobook. Back when I was a kid there were two things I enjoyed when I was sick: being able to watch cartoons, and reading as much as I wanted. So finishing off the audiobook was not much of a surprise.


9462812
Retrieved from Goodreads
When Kate's parents died, she and her older sister went to live with their grandparents in Paris. Normally living in the City of Light would be a dream come true, but Kate can't enjoy it. That is until she meets a mysterious boy who flits in and out of her life. As she gets to know him better, she discovers there's a whole other world she never new about: he's a revenant, an immortal human whose age resets to the age when he first died whenever he dies again. Luckily, he's one of the good ones. Not so luckily, not all revenants are good.

One thing I've learned in recent months as I've listened to many audiobooks, is that the narrator can make or break them. I greatly disliked the narrator for John in The Rise of Nine and The Fall of Five. I loved the narrators for White Cat and the Luxe. This is a case where I think the voice of the narrator improved my opinion of the book. Because there are a lot of things about this book that make it really basic. There's instalove and an easily fixed misunderstanding, and some not very deep characters. But the narrator was sassy, and I liked that this book was set in Paris so I could learn how to say arrondissement. Paris is one of my favorite cities, so it was fun hearing about the places I've been to. And the idea of the revenants was nice and different! The instalove sort of sucked, but you know, it was a light, airy read that cheered me up when I felt sick. So I'm going to give this book a pass and give it three stars.

Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars
Up Next: Blue Fire by Janice Hardy

No comments:

Post a Comment