Saturday, July 25, 2015

Blue Fire

Okay, wow, this book took me a really long time to read. As usual, I have excuses. One, I read another book via audiobook in the middle of reading this one. Two, my SO came home after being gone for a month. So I've been kinda busy catching up. All this to say, day before yesterday I finished reading Blue Fire by Janice Hardy. Now, this is a sequel so beware of spoilers. Although if you frequent this blog you should know that already.


7965123
Retrieved from Goodreads
Nya has rescued her sister from the clutches of the Governor-General and his evil Taker who was experimenting on others who could put pain into pynvium. But now there's a reward out for Nya and there are even more healers to rescue. After Nya is captured and taken to Baseeri where the Duke wants to use her peculiar shifting powers to his own ends, she must escape. Not only that, her sister was captured too, but Nya has no idea where she is. With her ragtag band of rebels, she'll try to take on the Duke, find her sister, and survive at least till next week.

I feel like I bought the Shifter off a recommendation from another blog. And I remember enjoying the simple book, though at points the pace lagged and I felt things got confusing. It was much the same with this book. The beginning was slow, which is why it took me so long to finish the book, and there are a lot of secondary characters I'd forgotten from the first book, and a lot of new characters introduced that I couldn't keep straight. The last 80 pages were very fast-paced, which was nice, and a badass female character who was in the shadows most of the time showed how ruthless she was. That was cool. On the downside, I'm still a little unclear on how shifting works versus taking and healing. I think there was quite a lot of time between my reading The Shifter and reading Blue Fire, which might account for that. It was a fine book. Not my favorite, and I didn't dislike it. It was a pleasant, short read.

Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars
Up Next: The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima

No comments:

Post a Comment