Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Finnikin of the Rock

So I am way late in posting this review, but I do have good reasons! Last week I walked in my two graduation ceremonies. That's right, I am now completely done with everything associated with my undergrad degree. I finished with straight As, two majors, and graduated cum laude. Afterward my SO and I went on a weekend trip with lots of driving in a cool car and not a lick of reading. But last week I did finish Finnikin of the Rock.


4932435
Retrieved from Goodreads
It's been ten years since the five days of the unspeakable, when the entire royal family of Lumatere was slaughtered and most of its inhabitants trapped outside the city walls by a curse. Finnikin has spent those years trying to secure the exiles a new home, but there are those who want to break the curse and take back Lumatere. Finnikin is pulled into this plot by the novice Evanjalin, who has fire in her eyes and is more cunning than most men.

What this book lacked in pace, it made up for in writing. This is a very nicely written book that allows even its good characters to do bad things. When Evanjalin is almost raped by Froi, she later sells him into slavery in order to save two other people. This book does a nice job of showing how people react differently to losing their homes. However, I think the climax was anticlimactic and I wish there had been more explanation of how the curse was going to be broken. However, overall I enjoyed this book and I think I'll be reading the rest of the series.

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars
Up Next: Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein

No comments:

Post a Comment