Friday, April 17, 2015

White Cat

So I'm definitely on a roll with audiobooks. It allows me to multitask which is awesome, even if it's just playing a game of Bejeweled. I finished off White Cat by Holly Black yesterday and now I'm about halfway done with The Luxe by Anna Godbersen. As an added bonus, White Cat was narrated by the guy who does the voice of Blu in the movie Rio, which I adore. Anyway, down to business!


8058030
Retrieved from Goodreads
All Cassel wants is to be normal. And by all rights, he is. He is the only non-worker in a curseworker family. He goes to school, he has sort of friends, and an ex-girlfriend. And he killed his best friend Lila three years ago but doesn't remember it. But now weirder shit is going on. He's waking up on school roofs after dreams of white cats, and his family is up to something. As Cassel tries to discover what's happening to him now, secrets about the past start to unravel that will change his life forever.

My first experience with Holly Black didn't end so well. Her Coldest Girl in Coldtown left me...well...cold. I loved loved loved all the details she put into her scenery and descriptions of characters, but the plot, or lack thereof, bothered me. Not so with White Cat. I've picked up this book a couple times but set it aside, but seriously, once you get into it, it's a fun book. Plenty of witty banter, which I always appreciate, and lovely descriptions of a world in which there are people with specific kinds of magic and some people want everyone to get tested to see if they have magic so they can have tabs kept on them. There are crime syndicates who enlist curseworkers as their minions and plenty of cool stuff like that. Black's world seemed real, which I always appreciate. And I loved the narrator of the audiobook. Unforunately, I guessed the twist long before it happened, but I honestly don't think this is because of anything lacking in the book. Sometimes my brain snags on one detail and it's like dominoes. I can't stop it, even though I hate when my brain guesses the big twist. Still, it's a good twist and well executed. Nice book, will definitely read the sequel, but I wouldn't stick it in my Favorites of All Time pile.

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars
Up Next: The Luxe by Anna Godbersen

No comments:

Post a Comment