Sunday, April 19, 2015

Sapphire Blue

In keeping with the last book I read, I just finished another book bedecked with a girl in a really big dress. Gwen's dress on Sapphire Blue is not as big as Elizabeth's on The Luxe, but I like it more because it's so...blue. I love blue. Favorite color. Anyway, sorry, lost my train of thought for a second there. Sapphire Blue is the second book in the Precious Stone Trilogy by Kerstin Gier. For some reason I always have a hard time remembering that name. Night before last, I fell asleep at 5:30 because I was so exhausted, and in the end I slept for nearly 15 hours. As a result, I was exhausted the next day and had to struggle to keep awake by 3 o'clock. Hopefully today goes a bit better!


12637458
Retrieved from Goodreads
It's only been a few days since Gwen found out she was a time traveler, the last in a sequence of twelve foretold in a prophecy. But everyone seems to think Gwen's a traitor, for there is definitely someone throwing a wrench in the mix. As the Guardians rush to complete the circle in the prophecy, Gwen struggles with her lack of knowledge of the time periods and her feelings for fellow time traveler, Gideon. One minute he's kissing her and the next calling her a traitor. Gwen's not sure how she feels about him, the Guardians, or the circle, and despite being a time traveler, there doesn't seem to be enough time to figure it all out.

When I read the first book in this series, Ruby Red, I found it enjoyable except that Gwen's voice sounded rather young for the character. In this book, that is addressed a bit, and she sounds a bit more adult, and other characters comment on her childlike naivety so it felt a bit more like a character trait than an accident. Several times this book made me laugh out loud from the banter, and there are pleasantly tangled time lines that are delicious in time travel books. I was a bit surprised by where the book ended, to the point where I picked up my physical copy and thumbed through it just to make sure the audiobook hadn't skipped a bit. The multitude of characters get a bit more fleshed out in this book which was nice. Overall, a pleasant listening experience. It's not the meatiest of time travel books, but I still enjoyed it.

Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars
Up Next: The Rise of Nine by Pittacus Lore

No comments:

Post a Comment