Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Masque

That's it, I'm done! I'm done with college. It's the weirdest feeling, let me tell you. Every morning for the past six months, and at most times over the last 3.5 years, I've woken up knowing I had to do something school related. And now...it's gone. I don't have to think about buying books or doing homework and working through massive amounts of reading and papers. I'm done. No more early morning registrations or dead weeks or finals weeks or spring breaks. I haven't settled on where I'm going next, but I'm waiting to hear back from grad schools.

But no matter what, I have a couple school-free months ahead of me. And you know what I'm going to do? Write. For fun. And I already know what I'm going to write.

I'm in the process of doing research for Spiral, the third book in my set of companion novels including Balancing Act and Saddle Sore, and that research won't be done for weeks. I'm getting up close and personal to ice skating rinks! It's super fun.

While my research is ongoing, I'll be working on a novel(la) (haven't picked which, so I'll just see where the words take me) that in some ways has been stewing in the back of my brain for a while. You see, I love masks. I love how elaborate they are, and how the reveal things about the people underneath while also concealing them. I've pinned dozens of them on Pinterest. But I haven't had the right story yet. Now I do (don't you just love random inspiration?).

It's a cinderella re-telling, but cinderella is disguised as a boy and apprenticed to a mask maker who's been commissioned to make all the masks for the royal family's Midwinter Ball. It's super fun, and I get to learn about mask making and describe pretty dresses and a swoony prince. It's going to be a fun, lighthearted book, which is exactly what I need right now. There's going to be romance and dancing and kisses and stuff that makes me happy. Spiral is going to cut me in several ways when I am ready to write it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment