Monday, December 22, 2014

Reached

It's taken me like four years, but I've finally finished Allie Condie's Matched series. Part of the reason it took me so long is because it took an inordinate amount of time to finish was because it took longer than normal to come out in paperback. I'm sort of OCD, and unless a series makes me stay up all night to finish it, I won't break up the series in kindle/hardback/paperback. I know, I'm weird. So, I enjoyed Matched, even though it was a bit slow. I was not a huge fan of Crossed, though. It suffered greatly from Middle Book Syndrome. But anyways, on to Reached!


13125947
Retrieved from Goodreads
Cassia is back in the Society, sorting by day and doing illegal trades with the Archivists by night. She's been told she'll play an integral role in the Rising, and she's happy to help. But at the same time she misses Ky, who was stationed in a different city to train as a pilot for the Rising. And then there's Xander, a physic in another city who is in on the ground floor of the Plague, another part of the Rising's plans. These three teenagers will play important roles in overthrowing the Society, but that won't solve who will win Cassia's heart.

Um, where to start with this book. There were things I liked and things I didn't like, as with most books. I guess I'll start with the likes. If I look at this book as being a standalone or separate from the other two, I liked it. I also liked Oker's snappiness and inability to let others be as important as him. I also appreciated Xander, who was kind and helpful and very imperfect as he didn't make connections that he should have and which hurt others. The book is also well-written. There weren't many times when my editor brain crossed out extra words.

But on the other hand, there were things I didn't like about this book. One, it felt completely different from the other two. A plague that basically makes the Rising able to take over in the first 50 pages? Weird. I thought the purpose of this series was to overthrow the Society, and it just sort of happened with no pomp or circumstance and then there were still 450 pages left. I need a climax, and this one didn't really deliver. Also the prose was not really my thing. I like poetic prose if it's done well (see my obsession with everything Maggie Stiefvater writes) and this did not strike me that way. I found myself skipping the poetic bits of Cassia's narrative, because they weren't important in the way they are in Stiefvater's novels. And Indie. Weird, flawed Indie. She deserved a better final arc than that. That's all I can think of for now.

Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars
Up Next: Stargazer by Claudia Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment