Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Perfect Lies

I'm seriously on a roll with the reading the last couple days. I've got another review coming up tomorrow for Stargazer. Today's review, however, is for Perfect Lies, the sequel to Kiersten White's Mind Games. I think it's the last one in the series, and it wrapped up most of the plot stuff, but I'm not sure. Anyway, as usual, spoiler alert!


12578370
Retrieved from Goodreads
Annie is dead and Fia killed her. At least, that's what the Keanes need to think. Fia and her boyfriend James, the son of the head of the Institute for gifted girls, are planning on bringing the place down. But because they're surrounded by Feelers and Seers and Readers, they can't even think about a plan for fear of being discovered. Fia has to rely on her perfect instincts. At the same time, Annie thinks she's safe, but her visions are getting more and more disturbing, most of them involving her sister.

I liked Mind Games and how it played with the unreliability of the narrator, even when it's our internal narrator. Perfect Lies uses this too, although to a lesser extent. Also, the timelines for Fia and Annie's stories don't hook up until almost the end, which can get a bit confusing. I liked this book; it was a fast, nice read. I like how broken Fia is, and how she knows it. Annie was a little less interesting, but I liked how her character arc ended with her taking power when she hadn't before. That being said, there is almost no description of setting in this book, which I missed. I also felt some of the secondary characters such as James and Pixie could have been more fleshed out. And I still don't know how I feel about the ending. In some ways it felt too easy or unfinished. Anyway, I still like White and I want to read her book, Illusions of Fate at some point.

Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars
Up Next: Stargazer

No comments:

Post a Comment