Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Looking for Alaska

I read The Fault in Our Stars two years ago in one sitting. I loved John Green's poetic style, and while I didn't fall-down adore it like a lot of people do, it was a good read and it was enough to have me pick up another of his books. I'm hoping to make more time to read for pleasure in the next couple months. I can't believe the quarter is almost over. In the last week I've read 3 books and 4 novellas. I've also done a lot of writing and homework and I'm so delightfully tired. But anyway, you don't want to hear about that right now.


99561
Retrieved from Goodreads
Miles "Pudge"Halter just started boarding school in Alabama. He's hoping he'll find his Great Perhaps. He loves last words and has never smoked before. His life gets turned upside down when he meets his roommate the Colonel and the beautiful girl down the hall Alaska Young. She's smart, mysterious, self-destructive, and sad. And she also has a boyfriend. Miles' existence is no longer safe. And he couldn't be happier. Until it happens. Until after.

I liked The Fault in Our Stars more than this book. That one felt like Green's writing style had done a lot of maturing. And while I liked reading about Pudge and the Colonel and Alaska, I didn't get invested in their story the same as I did with Hazel and Augustus. And when the book switched to "after" it slowed down so much. I didn't feel the same emotions Miles had, and I wanted a little more action. Still, I liked learning all those last words, and this book talks about drinking and smoking and sex in a relatable way that doesn't seem like it's trying to moralize. Props to Green for that. I've heard Paper Towns and An Abundance of Katherines are good, so maybe I'll pick those up some time. In the meantime, it was nice to read a contemporary book. It's been a while.

Goodreads Rating: 3 Stars
Up Next: Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein

No comments:

Post a Comment