Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The Tethering Blog Tour

Hey, everyone! I have a lovely interview for you today with Megan O'Russell. She's the author of The Tethering, a YA Fantasy out from Silence in the Library.

Before we get to the interview, here's the blurb of The (awesome) Tethering!

All sixteen-year-old Jacob Evans wants is to win the heart of Emilia Gray,  but with order in the magical world crumbling, war threatening, and Emilia's boyfriend living across the hall, he may never have the chance.


Jacob Evans loses everything he has ever known and is tossed into a world of magic. The Dragons, a group of rebel wizards, are threatening to expose the existence of magic to humans. Jacob is determined to find a way to fit into Emilia's family, but as his powers grow, so does the danger. With the death toll mounting, Jacob is accused of acts of rebel terrorism and must fight to stay in a world he's only just beginning to discover.

When Emilia's life is threatened, Jacob must risk everything to save her. Does he have the power to rescue her in time? And what could their survival cost?

And now you get to hear from the lovely Megan O'Russell!

  1. If you could tell anyone in the world five things about yourself that really defines "you," what would they be?

    I am an actor. My home is on stage under the lights.
    Running around outside like puppy on a kibble high is one of my favorite things to do right along with hiking. I love climbing mountains.
    I love conversations. Not always being part of them, sometimes just watching them happen. I think it's an actor thing. I love dialogue.
    I love to travel, and bits of my adventures work themselves into my books all the time.
    My husband is my beta reader, chief spell linguist, and fight choreographer. I couldn't have written The Tethering without him.
  2. What was your inspiration for The Tethering?

    It all started with a boy sitting in a window waiting for a girl to come back. I don't even remember why the boy popped into my head, but the image wouldn't go away. After a while, I needed to know more about him, and then I needed to help him. That is how Jacob Evans and The Tethering came to be. I wanted to help the boy in the window.
  3. How long did it take you to write the first draft of this book?

    Probably about a year-and-a-half.
  4. What is your writing/editing process? Pantser? Outliner?

    I would have to go with Pantser, but I don't know if the Pantser party would want me. I don't always write in order. I don't sit down and wait for the next scene to surprise me. I write what I find interesting that day. If I really want to write about a garden and make something magical happen, then I do. If I'm hyper and want to write a fight scene, that's what happens. This becomes a nightmare come editing time. I have to be super careful to balance POV. Going through and make sure the pink shirt stayed a pink shirt and I didn't insert an extra couch is excruciatingly painstaking. But it's worth the extra work to keep myself excited about writing and hopefully that excitement comes through in the book.
  5. Could you tell us a little bit about the Silence in the Library? Any connection to Doctor Who?

    Yes, it is a Doctor Who reference, which is great for me since I love Doctor Who! Silence in the Library is actually a really unique and wonderful publisher. They use Kickstarter as their pre-order platform to allow readers to interact with them. You know from day one if the readers are interested in a project, if they want to see the book packaged with another book, or even if they wish there was cool SWAG available for a title. It also allows Silence in the Library to promote other titles from their collection as add-ons or freebies to introduce readers to a new series. It's also a way to make sure a small press stays in the black, preventing the awful "my editor never got paid" syndrome that is frightening in the publishing world right now.
  6. What are your favorite books overall? Recently?

    I love The Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, and Madeline L'Engle. Any book with a sense of wonder is great. I love mysteries and romance. Rhys Bowen is wonderful, and my most recent read was Elected by Rori Shay, which was fantastic.
  7. Favorite ice cream?
    Maple Walnut. But if I can't find it, chocolate all the way!
You can buy The Tethering here!


No comments:

Post a Comment