Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Popular

The full title of this book is Popular: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek. I was given this book by a friend's mom who couldn't stop raving about it. I actually read it over a week ago, but I'm just now getting to writing the review. It's been a crazy week, guys. Lots of editing to do, and school starts tomorrow! I can't believe it, but more on that later.


18667753
Retrieved from Goodreads
Maya van Wagenen is about to start 8th grade. She's the lowest of the low on her school's food chain, and she's well aware of it. But then she rediscovers an old book from the 50's about how to be popular. It's got some crazy stuff in it about wearing vaseline on your eyelids and being confident. But Maya decides to try it out. What has she got to lose? Set near the Mexico-American border, Maya tells her tale of growth in this memoir.

Maya wants to be less unpopular. I wouldn't say she aspired to being an apex predator (AKA a jock). I liked the background of the drug war and gang violence that surrounded her school, and her love of her teacher who entered her in all kinds of writing contests. Maya's journey to discovering the key to being popular wasn't what she wore or how she walked was heartwarming. Her building her confidence is something I think a lot of young girls could learn from. I thought the writing was a bit amateurish, but then again this was written by a fifteen-year-old. I also think the book would have been just fine without the pictures scattered throughout. But all in all this was a quick, enjoyable read about self-discovery.

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment