Monday, September 8, 2014

Of Triton

I ended Saturday night with a horrible headache that advil and wine couldn't fix. So on Sunday (which was gorgeous and the perfect temperature) I decided to take it easy for a while. My SO was over working, so I nestled up on the couch with Of Triton by Anna Banks, the sequel to Of Poseidon which I read last year. As usual, beware mild spoilers.


15513156
Retrieved from Goodreads
Emma just learned her mother is a long lost Syrena princess who was mated to her boyfriend's brother seventy years ago. Emma knew she was a Half-Blood, but this takes things to a whole new level of weird. When her mom goes into the water to reclaim her birthright as princess in order to mate with Grom, the situation gets even worse. There's an imposter claiming to possess the power of Poseidon, and the Royal family's grip on the kingdom is getting shakier. Emma may be the only one who can fix the problem, and she'll have to if she wants to be with Galen, the Triton Syrena.

I love mermaid books. So it's shouldn't surprise anyone when I say I liked this book. I had some issues with the first one with Galen being possessive and how messed up the mating rituals in Syrena culture were. This book was a nice, quick read, partially because it dropped a lot of threads that began in the first book. Emma's half-bloodedness is taken for granted and not explored much further. Her grief over her friend's death and integrating back into high school are also dropped. Galen and Emma spend most of the book apart, so their romance wasn't able to annoy me. The writing is good, and Emma has some funny internal commentary. Galen's chapters in the third person present tense take some getting used to, but I think I just tuned it out after a while. The ending was...abrupt and sort of weird. It seemed tacked on in order to have some emotional upheaval, but it fell flat for me. And I wish the epilogue hadn't left it open for a third book. These two books stand well enough on their own. Overall a pleasant read for a relaxing day.

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars
Up Next: Fever by Lauren DeStefano

No comments:

Post a Comment