Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Waiting on You

I forgot to tell you guys what happened to me the other day! I got bitten by a duck at a lake. It just swam up to me when I had my leg dangling off the edge of a dock and bit me. Apparently my toes looked yummy. Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programming. I haven't been reading much the last couple weeks. What with my birthday and seeing friends, I've been so exhausted by the end of the day that I haven't even had the energy to read. But yesterday I spent the day in bed reading Waiting on You by Kristan Higgins.
18246306
Retrieved from Goodreads

Ten years ago Colleen O'Rourke was madly in love with her boyfriend Lucas. But things didn't work out, you know how it is. Now she's co-owner of the best (and only) bar in Manningsport, New York, knows everyone in town, is a perpetual flirt, and quite a matchmaker. She's successfully paired 14 couples to date, and it looks to be 15 when Paulie asks her to help with Bryce, Lucas's cousin. But Manningsport just got crowded. Lucas is back in town to be with his uncle Joe when he passes, and it's hard to avoid people when you're the center of town. Colleen knows she shouldn't fall for his charm again, but it's hard when your first love was so intense.

I love Higgins work. Her situations are awkward and funny, and family is always made out to be the less than perfect mess it is. I greatly enjoyed reading Waiting on You, as it takes place in the familiar place of Manningsport where two of her other books are set. Actually, it might be three now and I haven't gotten the other one. Colleen is very guy savvy, which is different for a Higgins novel where her heroines are deliciously, painfully unaware of what it takes to attract a man. I had one small beef with this book: I didn't feel like I got to know Colleen enough in the present. One of Higgins' tools is to employ flashbacks, which I have no problem with. But other than her flirting and hatred for her stepmother and love of her brother and matchmaking, which is established in the first chapter, I didn't feel as if I got to know her as well as other Higgins' heroines. That being said, I will gladly return to Manningsport for the next installment.

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars
Up Next: Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon

No comments:

Post a Comment